Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hawaii 1: Having a To Do List

I read two Lonely Planet books (one on Hawaii, another on Oahu. Thanks to Lorna and Omz. I scored the books years ago, when they were getting rid of stuff before their move to LA) and one Rough Guide on Honolulu/Waikiki, which I bought a week before we left.
A mere five hour plane ride but more importantly, Hawaii is the middle point between where we live now and beloved Manila. The idea that we would be that close to the Philippines made me so excited.
I knew it wasn't going to be that strange or exotic as it's still a US territory but different enough that I enjoyed the research. I had written down notes on a yellow pad (two pages exactly) with what I wanted to do and all the places I'd see when we get to the island.

Dino on the other hand was too busy finishing his projects in EA and had no time to chat about Hawaii with me until it was time to pack. I suggested that he went over my list or read Rough Guide as it is the shortest of the three guide books. "On the plane," he said.

We could have been at the airport already or maybe it was the early morning before we left when Dino told me that the only thing he wanted to do in Hawaii was to not do anything at all. Well, not exactly nothing but he didn't want to bother with my list.

I, being a little anxious, recited to him all of my notes--- All including:
  • what I was going to wear each day (versatile enough to get me through the beach and maybe a downtown restaurant at night; strategic pairing of clothing items so that it would be easy to dress down or layer)***
  • what activities would appropriately match my outfit (you see, some clothing however light in concept, like a skirt, have the possibility of restricting physical movements, let's say hiking...especially if said outfit is paired with flat, gladiator sandals that don't offer much traction if one is to walk uphill, like on a volcanic crater or uneven terrain...) ***
  • what time we should go to certain places (our hotel was outside the city and we had to consider travel time, traffic and such)
  • when to bring my big, imposing, arrogant camera (considering the activities planned for the day, security factors if I needed to leave photo equipment in the car or at the beach)
  • which part of the island is best to catch sunrise or sunset (friends have varied claims and convictions on this)
  • which days to assign for swimming, meeting friends or doing the tourist activities
  • when and where to buy souvenirs before flying home
*** seemingly dumb concerns but I've traveled enough to believe that one should really pack lightly, that a girl must avoid bringing her whole closet and not deal with unnecessary baggage weight without sacrificing aesthetics.


Dino's response to my dramatic litany: "Ehh...I just want to draw."

What about MY list? My handwritten list?
"Pearl Harbor, " was his choice just because I forced him to tell me what sounded interesting from my options.

"...I just want to relax. We're going to be on vacation."


2 comments:

tosinpdx said...

Hi there,

I got here thru louisvuittonlover blog :)
I luv your new bag. Pretty and roomy :) I want one :)

Gracious

ninadi said...

hi gracious,
thank you! you can't go wrong with LV :)
-nina