Saturday, July 12, 2008

hello, wall-e


Saw Wall-E the other night. Another phenomenal pixar film as expected...and one step further than what they did with Ratatouille. I still prefer the latter in terms of style...it reminded me of my favorite films like Delicatessen and Amelie. Wall-E was much closer to Monsters, Inc. and CARS look-wise.
Beyond the discussion of the film's form, Pixar has gotten more bold and has pushed 3D animation as a big contender to live action films. Personally, I think Pixar has blurred the distinction between the two.
Animated films are no longer just for kids, or just some slapstick/easy amusement. They key with Wall-e was the story. Pixar has transcended the aesthetics. I'm not embarassed to admit that I cried towards the end of Wall-e. With no verbal dialogues and the main characters not having mouths or pronounced features, the film was very much able to convey a narrative full of emotions.
Imagine if Wall-E gets an Oscar nomination next year. Not for the animation category but for Best Picture. It wouldn't be so far fetched, I think.

I was so taken by the movie that I bought a Hello, Dolly dvd...was so curious to see the rest of the musical as they only showed bit parts in Wall-e.

No comments: