Wednesday, July 9, 2008

SJ burning

In our one year here in San Jose, I have gotten at least 2 shades darker...I'm only half-complaining because many fair complexioned people pay good money for tanning. I just wish mine was more deliberate and even.

Since I drive around a lot for work, I actually have a driver's tan. Even though I got these long arm gloves for driving and layer upon layer of sunblock on my skin, there's no escaping the sun rays.

Today I was burning up inside the car/oven. I realized two things: I miss San Francisco, where "summer" is relative. Also, I wish I had a different photography job...something that would not require me to drive the whole day and feel like an ant underneath a magnifying glass held by a giant, sadistic kid. If you over-think it, the torturer is not just nature but me. Hello, global warming.

I had a little break around 2:30 pm and I rushed home to take a cold shower. It was priceless. If I were a wee bit more insane, I would've just stayed in the bathroom for longer, blasted the AC on and then went to sleep. Instead I drank two full glasses of iced water and drove out to my remaining appointments. If I were a little wiser, I would've looked into other job options even before this heat wave started.

I hope the temperature drops in the next few days. It's almost like part of my decision to stay in this job hinges on the current climate. Of course, the bigger factor has to do with the theme of this blog-- repetitive stress on my hands aka carpal tunnel syndrome.

By the way, I'm scheduled for two tests at Kaiser hospital's Neurology department this Friday:
Nerve Conduction Velocity Study (NCS) and an Electromyogram (EMG). Keywords here are needles and electrodes. They sound like so much fun.

From driver's tan to electrical shocks...how marquis de sade.

No comments: