Thursday, September 3, 2009

the injustice of it all

A friend's FB status caught my attention the other day. She was asking everyone if it's true that Alexis Tioseco has been murdered.

First, I did not know Alexis Tioseco. Second, there was a hint that a lot of people knew this guy for my friend to make a big announcement like that.

As I have gathered online, Alexis was a well regarded film critic and teacher in Manila. His girlfriend, a Slovenian film journalist, lived with him as well. Both were shot multiple times in their home last September 1st, suspected were burglars who were connected to one of the couple's housemaids.

Some of the reports here and here.

The manner in which they died was horrible. As I read more about Alexis in his own blog, his film criticism website and in the articles he had written, I realized that his passing is a great loss to the Philippines.

From all that I've read about him in the last few days, one thing resonated the most: Alexis had so much passion for film and specially for Philippine cinema. He had so much hope for it that it consumed all of his remaining years.

This letter, which he wrote for the magazine Rogue last year, is a beautiful portrait of Alexis. It explains not only to Nica his girlfriend but also to us Filipinos about his love for local cinema.

I cried as I read the letter. I cried even more when I read his wish list.

We need more people like Alexis and none of the useless and senseless people like Philippine politicians who do nothing but disgusting things to the country.

As I was saddened about a great guy's death, I remembered a recent video of the president's son, Congressman Mikey Arroyo also known as sorry excuse for a human being!
This video felt like an eternity! The question that he could not answer was "Where did you get all of the money and property, you disgusting pig???"



It's the saddest thing that we lose good people like Alexis. It is so sickening that we have to contend with a greedy beast of a politician like Mikey Arroyo.

No comments: