Thursday, September 3, 2009

file under wtf

I had an ultra sound earlier today, as part of our We Want to have a Baby Soon project. My blood work was viewed by the doctor as "normal" although my hormone level could be improved. Nothing appeared to be waving a red flag that's why the next step was to peek into my uterus.

Two surprises from the ultra sound:
1. I have what is called a Fibroid. Nothing to be worried about, ALTHOUGH the question of "why do I pee all the effing time???" and my tireless numero uno complaint "I go crazy for not being able to sleep all the way through the night because I have to go to the bathroom every effing hour!!!" have been answered.
This "harmless" mass of tissue has been resting comfortably near/beside/on top of my bladder. The thing pushes into almost half of my bladder, causing the latter not to fill to capacity but is always fooled into thinking it is. I saw the visual proof.
I have always complained about this to my primary physician. Since my lab tests did not show any cause for alarm and I have had no pain or difficulty urinating, I never got any satisfying answer until now.
The good news is that the fibroid's position is of no consequence to my fertility. It's also good to know that there is only one right now. I pray that it stays like that.

2. The doctor could not find my left ovary. Say what??? The ultra sound probing and poking took a bit longer than I expected. The doctor even had to press his hand on my tummy a couple of times. Nothing.
I started to get scared but then the doctor said it is quite normal for an ovary not to show in the scan. Varying factors affect its visibility, he said. Like it could shift its position; or because their ultra sound probing tool has a fixed lens, its visual reach is somehow limited; some muscle tissue or intestinal organ could be blocking the view.

The doctor did not show any sign of worry that my left ovary was missing today. He said they'll do another scan on my next appointment and then it may reappear.

When I got home, I just had to google and find out if this is a common thing among women. I guess it is. I found some discussions here and here.

While the left ovary is still unaccounted for, what has been said about my right one? We caught a glimpse of it too. Dino was sitting right next to me, holding my hand. Both of us were looking at the small video screen as the doctor checked me. Honestly though, I had a few minutes of wishful thinking inside the examination room.I've had dreams and fantasies of this scenario before, although in them we were looking at a tiny baby.

The reality is, I may or may not have enough eggs. The doctor cannot say for sure at this moment. There will be more tests in the following weeks. They will actually perform a follicle count and it seems inevitable that they will prescribe me some medication too (something to wake up my eggs and invite them out in case they are there and just too lazy to do what they're supposed to.) It all sounds like a deranged easter egg hunt.
When Dino asked him about the possibility of some problems, the doctor confidently answered that there is always a corresponding solution and treatment.

I know that I have no legitimate reason to be worried and depressed about all of this yet...still, I'm feeling weak.

No comments: