Monday, September 1, 2008

labor day weekend

The long weekend is over. It seemed like we waited for Dino's birthday party for a long time and now it's already a memory. A very fun one, of course!
Saturday
So many different characters rolled into our tiny space in San Jose and made our home beyond cozy, lovely and warm last Saturday night. We did our best but for next time there's a few things we should be overly prepared for, like food!
Diet has no place in a party shopping list. I was at the grocery store and I stopped myself from getting an extra bag of potato chips. The party started at 6pm and by past 10, the dinner table was exhausted. I was too drunk to cook, or to actually look for what to make. Too bad, there is no Martha or Rachel Ray in me.
It was also the time when I wished we had hired help. Or a very helpful uncle/aunt who loves to manage the kitchen while the kids are at play.
An extra set of batteries would have been cool too. The red wine got me and I went upstairs for what I planned to be a few minutes of quiet in the bedroom. I'm guessing that an hour or two had passed and I woke up to an empty house. Everyone had left and I failed to see them off! Based on a text message I got from E and what he told me the day after, the last guests must have left close to 5am.
Worrying aside, the party was a success. Although some friends did not make it and mostly were out of town, a bunch of 'maybe's' in the Facebook invite managed to come--much appreciated! An army of little ones joined the festivities as well. How we've all grown! It's so cool to see our friends' cute babies and all the other lovely kids!
Sunday
Dino and I woke up at 8am. Even with matching hang over, we started cleaning the house and cooked a hearty brunch. Tri-tip/Steak, white rice and corn at 11am! We were really hungry.
Lounged for a few more hours, but was too manic to stay indoors. I drove north to pick up E and we hung out in Serramanila--david's term :)
E and I had some YUMMY fro-yo (frozen yogurt) at the food court. Then David aka Schmoopie joined us and we all went to Target.
It's so not right, but I cannot just browse and not get anything from Target. Picked up a cd: One Day as a Lion by Zack de la Rocha and drummer dude from Mars Volta. It was on sale for $5.99. Very good buy. I had to wait for the drive back to San Jose to listen to the audio full blast.
The boys and I had dinner at HardKnox. I had the smothered chicken. Soul food--3rd YUMMY of the day. Oh boy!
Then it was Green Apple Books PARADISE! 4th YUMMY. We could all live in this place. I got myself a new photo book (Nikki S. Lee's PARTS) and I am so psyched to do a photo project.
I need more inspiration and I'm thinking I should hit the museums again and other bookstores as well.
Monday
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Facebook. Steak and pasta for lunch. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Facebook. Steak and pasta for dinner. Chardonnay.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

No comments: